Is Sparkling Water Bad For Your Teeth?
These days a lot of us are swearing off fizzy drinks and other beverages that contain a large amount of sugar or artificial preservatives for health reasons…
Sales of bottled water have hit the roof and we can now buy more kinds of water than ever before… While your average bottle of Evian isn’t going to cause any problems, people are less sure about the sparkling varieties. But are these drinks something that will damage your teeth in the long term?
Well, there’s good and bad news… Sparkling water can damage your teeth, but it isn’t all cut and dried. The main reason is that water turns more acidic when it’s carbonated due to the creation of carbonic acid. These drinks are nowhere near as corrosive to the teeth as regular pop, but there are some flavoured varieties that actually have similar levels of acid to fruit juice. This was actually discovered by researcher, Catriona Brown, right here at the University of Birmingham.
In tests, citrus fruits like lemon, lime and grapefruit, turned out to be the most acidic flavours because they already contain their own acids. Combining them with the carbonic acid in water caused the same kind of corrosive effect as orange juice (which is known to soften tooth enamel).
Another study from the Univeristy of Birmingham found that most still water and flavourless sprakling water actually did very little damage to teeth and would have to be drunk over a long period to cause any major teeth erosion. So, take it easy and you should be OK!
Top tips to avoid damaging your teeth if you like sparkling water:
* Avoid flavoured waters
* Don’t consume sparkling water as your main beverage all the time
* Don’t add lemon or other fruit (especially citrus fruits) to your water
* Use a straw to reduce exposing your teeth to carbonic acid