Why You Should Eat More Broccoli
After decades of nagging “eat your broccoli!” over the dinner table, parents are finally backed up by scientific research!
Broccoli is truly one of the superstars of the vegetable world – it helps the digestive, cardiovascular and immune systems and is reputed to have anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer effects. It’s also fat free!
So, what exactly are the health benefits of eating broccoli?
* Broccoli’s anti-inflammatory power means that it’s a great food to help people suffering with joint pain and diseases such as arthritis.
* Broccoli contains a number of phytochemicals which help detox the body – removing contaminants from the system.
* If you’d like to lower your cholesterol levels, eat plenty of broccoli! The fibre in the vegetable binds to cholesterol and then carries it out of your system!
* Broccoli contains a pigment called kaempferol which reduces the impact of allergens – especially in the intestines – and can reduce inflammation there.
* Broccoli contains tons of fibre – good for the digestive system. It also helps maintain the right balance of healthy bacteria in the gut.
* It contacins lutein and zeaxanthin – two antioxidants that are good for the eyes and can help to prevent macular degeneration and cataracts.
* Broccoli’s widest-reported health benefit is its anti-cancer properties. This is due to its high levels of antioxidants. Broccoli is thought to be especially effective against stomach, bladder and breast cancers.
* Broccoli helps keep your heart strong by strengthening blood vessels and reducing the damage to blood vessels caused by blood sugar issues and consuming too much red meat.
That’s it except to say that if there were a moral to this story it’d be “go eat some broccoli!”